A Sunday fire destroys an auto shop and damages the roof of a nearby motel in Walterboro
WALTERBORO, SC (WCBD) – Two buildings were damaged in a fire Sunday afternoon in Walterboro.
Fire crews responded to a vacant car workshop near Acorn Road around 3.14pm where they found flames coming from the front, back and roof of the building.
Colleton County Fire Rescue officials said the wind carried embers to an adjacent property and the roof of the Budgetel Inn also caught fire.
Crews quickly worked to fight the fires at both locations, using heavy equipment, and received assistance from the Walterboro Fire Department.
The motel‘s roof was damaged and the auto shop building suffered extensive damage and was gutted, leading to its condemnation.
Officials said squatters lived in the two-story building. No injuries were reported.
Fire Rescue officials said it was the second time in three months that the auto shop had caught fire. The first, which happened in late March, was when the fire appeared to have spread from an unattended burning barrel that was behind the store. Flames from this fire ignited a large pile of debris and spread through the building.