Eight-year-old injured in Lafayette motel fire on Saturday

An 8-year-old boy was injured in a motel fire on the Evangeline Thruway on Saturday.

Firefighters say they responded at 12:33 p.m. Feb. 5 at Motel 6 at 2216 NE Evangeline Thruway.

Upon arrival, smoke was seen coming from a room on the second floor of the building. Firefighters say the occupants of the room were outside in a safe area.

The ministry says the sprinkler system has been activated and the fire has been extinguished.

A bed in the bedroom was heavily damaged by fire.

An adult and four young children were in the room when the fire broke out.

An investigation revealed that the fire had been started on the floor near the edge of the bed by a young child playing with a lighter and paper. The child reportedly woke sleeping family members who tried to put out the fire before leaving the room.

The child was injured in the hand and face and was treated at the scene.

The fire was declared accidental.

————————————————– ———-
Stay connected with us anytime, anywhere.

To access the press room or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on twitter

Like us on facebook

follow us on instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel

Comments are closed.