Madison’s home covered in ash after unconfirmed basement appliance fire

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) – The Madison Fire Department reported that a Pebble Beach Drive resident returned home after a brief vacation to find his home filled with smoke and ash Tuesday night.

According to MFD, when they arrived at the resident’s home around 6:20 p.m., there were no immediate signs of fire. When they entered the house, they discovered that all surfaces were covered with about a quarter inch of ash and there was thick gray smoke throughout the area. Firefighters also detected no heat in the home.

In their statement, firefighters said that once they descended to the basement, they were able to detect an appliance that had burned. Currently they think it is a dehumidifier, but as it has been burnt to ashes this cannot be confirmed.

The aircraft was surrounded by non-flammable objects, including water pipes and a refrigerator. For this reason, MFD said the fire did not spread beyond its point of origin.

Officials also noted that no pets were home at the time of the fire.

Crews were able to open doors and windows to ventilate the area with positive pressure ventilation fans. At this point, the house is still uninhabitable due to the atmospheric conditions which remain toxic.

Copyright 2022 WMTV. All rights reserved.

Comments are closed.