Tinder Meetup robbery in Georgia led to fatal shootout: cops

Kevin Mark Soles Jr. in an undated Bibb <a class=County Sheriff’s photo.” title=”Kevin Mark Soles Jr. in an undated Bibb County Sheriff’s photo.” loading=”lazy”/>

Kevin Mark Soles Jr. in an undated Bibb County Sheriff’s photo.

Bibb County Sheriff’s Office

A dating app trick involving a sex date at a Macon motel last month led cops to two suspects near Byron, one of whom was gunned down by police after a standoff of several hours.

The downed man, Kevin Mark Soles Jr., has been described as being the muscle in a Tinder dating ploy on November 2, a Bibb County Sheriff’s Deputy said on Wednesday at a hearing for a young woman. accused of orchestrating the sex-swindle scam.

Soles, 37, was killed two weeks later on the night of November 17 in neighboring Crawford County, not far from Byron, after police visited a house on Jordan Road to arrest him after receiving a tip that he and the young woman in the alleged Tinder mockery were holed up there.

Testimony at a probable cause hearing Wednesday in Bibb County Magistrates ‘Court for Soles’ alleged accomplice – Hayle Nicole Kennedy, 20, of Dublin – revealed not yet released details of what has happened leads investigators to suspect Soles.

Bibb’s Deputy Sheriff Peggy Newman said at the hearing that on November 2, she responded to a call about an armed robbery at the Discovery Inn on Chambers Road. The motel sits near the Interstate 475 interchange at Eisenhower Parkway, in a hallway that houses several discount lodgings that have long been plagued by drug trafficking and prostitution.

“Fearing for his life”

The alleged victim of the theft said he met Kennedy on the Tinder app, where she was known as the “Phoenix” screen. The man then proceeded to Room 204 of the motel to meet Kennedy, Newman said.

“They were chatting and were about to have sex,” Newman said, when Kennedy texted someone and seconds later after a “loud bang” on the door, Kennedy said. opened the door and two armed men burst inside.

The deputy said the men – one of whom was later identified as Soles and a second who has not been found – forced the unsuspecting victim to send Kennedy $ 500 via Cash App. The gunmen, along with Kennedy, then allegedly stole the key to the victim’s truck and took off in the truck.

The bandits, Newman said, left the victim in the room, “in the tub, fearing for his life.”

The deputy said the victim subsequently identified Kennedy from a Crime Stoppers photograph.

Newman said the victim mentioned Kennedy had a tattoo on his face – which she does, a half-dollar-sized ink on his forehead that is centered between his eyebrows.

After a lookout was posted for the truck, cops near Byron spotted him and pursued him, but anyone inside fled.

Fifteen days later, an informant informed authorities that Kennedy and Soles were staying at a house on Jordan Road, not far from where the victim’s truck had been abandoned.

When police went to arrest the couple, Kennedy was taken into custody, but Soles fled and was later shot dead after a standoff.

Deadly shot in the woods

Hearing Newman’s testimony in court on Wednesday about Soles’ disappearance, Kennedy collapsed sobbing.

Soles, who according to his obituary was from Jones County, went by the nicknames “Solo” and “Bubba”.

“He was a very talented trade construction worker and tattoo artist,” the obituary noted.

In court on Wednesday, Newman mentioned that Kennedy had “orchestrated it all by her confession” in taped conversations both from prison and with the police as she spoke to a hostage negotiator as Soles was fatally shot.

Following Soles’ death, The Telegraph reported that the GBI said in a statement that on November 17, when MPs went to arrest Soles and Kennedy at 455 Jordan Road – about five miles west of the ‘Interstate 75 – that Soles rushed into some woods and for a while escaped the cops.

At one point, Soles was “located in the woods and officers saw that he had a gun in his hand,” the statement added.

The officers then reportedly spent “the next few hours” trying to “negotiate with Soles to surrender.”

GBI’s account of what followed said that “officers exhausted several means to arrest Soles,” efforts which included firing “less lethal bullets at him to gain control and place him under arrest. “.

The statement went on to say that “during the time that officers were attempting to arrest Soles” he “pointed his gun at officers” and “this resulted in officers firing at Soles.”

It is still unclear how many officers laid off, or for which law enforcement agencies these officers worked.

Information from the Telegraph archives was used in this report.

Joe Kovac Jr. covers crime and the courts for The Telegraph with an eye on human interest stories. Joe is a native of Warner Robins and a graduate of Warner Robins High. He joined The Telegraph in 1991 after graduating from the University of Georgia. As a 1991 Pulliam Fellowship recipient, Joe worked for Indianapolis News. His stories have appeared in the Washington Post, Seattle Times, and Atlanta Magazine. He was a finalist for the Livingston Award and won numerous Georgia Press Association and Georgia Associated Press awards.
Support my work with a digital subscription

Comments are closed.